Stop by our shop! 10838 York Road, Cockeysville, MD 21030

Do Magic Mushrooms Go Bad?


Yes magic mushrooms can go bad. Just like any other organic matter, mushrooms can deteriorate over time. Factors such as storage methods, environmental conditions, and time can influence their quality and safety for consumption.

So, the straight answer to the question “do magic mushrooms go bad?” is, yes, they can. However, with proper handling and storage, the shelf life of magic mushrooms can be extended significantly.

A picture of mushrooms with a red x over them

Signs That Your Magic Mushrooms Have Gone Bad

Identifying if your magic mushrooms have gone bad is an essential step in ensuring a safe and enjoyable psychedelic experience. There are several signs to watch out for:

Color Changes: Magic mushrooms that are turning bad may start to change color. If they begin to appear darker than usual or exhibit any unusual color changes, this could be a sign of spoilage.

Unpleasant Odor: Fresh magic mushrooms have an earthy smell. If the mushrooms start to give off a foul or unusually strong odor, it could be an indication that they have spoiled.

Mold Growth: This is a clear sign of spoilage. Any signs of mold, typically white, blue, or green fuzzy spots, mean that the mushrooms are no longer safe to consume.

Slimy Texture: Fresh magic mushrooms are typically dry and slightly crunchy. If they become slimy or overly soft, it’s likely they have gone bad.

man clasping stomach in pain

The Risks of Consuming Spoiled Magic Mushrooms

Consuming spoiled magic mushrooms can lead to negative experiences, both psychologically and physically. Possible symptoms may include stomach discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and in severe cases, food poisoning.

The risk of having a “bad trip” or an unpleasant psychedelic experience is also higher when consuming spoiled magic mushrooms due to potential changes in the chemical composition. This is because the alkaloids present in the mold can interfere with main active chemical in mushrooms.

So, if your mushrooms look a bit off, it’s in your best interest to just throw them away. 

What Happens If I Eat Old Mushrooms?

If your mushrooms have been properly stored and show no signs of decomposition, they’re probably ok to eat. The worst-case scenario is that some of the potency might have degraded, and the effects will be a bit milder. 

However, take caution; just because your mushrooms are a bit old does not mean they will be totally ineffective. Taking more than your regular dose could cause a stronger effect than you’re ready for. 

person holding mushrooms in a bag

Proper Storage for Magic Mushrooms

The lifespan of magic mushrooms can be greatly influenced by the way they are stored. Here are some recommendations for keeping your magic mushrooms fresh for as long as possible:

Keep Them Dry: Moisture is a prime cause of spoilage in magic mushrooms. It’s important to ensure that your mushrooms are thoroughly dried before storage.

Use Airtight Containers: Storing your magic mushrooms in airtight containers can protect them from air and humidity, two factors that can accelerate their degradation.

Store in a Cool, Dark Place: Light and heat can degrade the psilocybin, the psychoactive compound in magic mushrooms. Storing them in a cool, dark place helps maintain their potency.


Magic mushrooms can go bad. When stored improperly, they can begin to grow mold and decompose. Eating moldy mushrooms can lead to nausea and vomiting, just like eating any other food with mold. Additionally, because the mold can produce additional alkaloids, you may find that your trip is uncomfortable and unfamiliar. 

Best practice says always to toss any mushrooms that look like they might have become moldy. 

Stay safe, and remember, have a nice trip!

Ready to talk to a Surfacing Expert for your next park project?