Cannabidiol (CBD) is a versatile ingredient that includes gummies among its many forms. CBD gummies are some of the easiest ways to consume CBD oil, which tends to have an earthy flavor. They are popular to the point that experts expect their market size and share to exceed $6.8 billion by 2028.
However, like any consumable product, you may ask: do CBD gummies expire? Yes. Although CBD gummies expire, their shelf-life will depend on the specific product’s ingredients and how well you store them. Here’s a closer look at how long it takes for CBD gummies to expire.
How Long Does It Take CBD Gummies To Expire?
One of CBD gummies’ ingredients is CBD oil, which typically lasts between one and two years. Other ingredients may last longer, such as gelatin, which can last up to three years. However, it’s best to focus on the ingredient that has a shorter shelf life when determining whether a product is expired.
If the CBD gummy brand you bought features all-natural or vegan products, they may cut your item’s shelf life down to months, depending on the kind of ingredients it has. It’s best to consume your CBD gummies within six or nine months of purchasing the product or as the package directions state.
How To Tell if CBD Gummies Are Expired
Look for your product’s expiration date somewhere on the package. If it has passed, then it has likely gone bad. However, you could have followed a few proper storage directions that could extend its shelf life for a few months after the printed date.
If you follow proper CBD storage directions and want to see if your gummies are still good, try smelling and tasting them before consuming them. Fresh CBD gummies should smell and taste earthy. If you detect any unpleasantness in their scent or flavor, they have likely gone bad.
What Are the Risks of Taking Expired CBD Gummies?
You typically have nothing to worry about when taking expired CBD oil products. If anything, you won’t experience the full effects of CBD when you take products that have gone beyond their printed expiry date. CBD loses its potency over time, especially when you don’t store it properly.
However, the other ingredients in the gummy product may put you at risk. For example, the gelatin in the gummies might spoil, causing the product to grow mold. Mold can make any food unappetizing. If you ingest moldy food products, you can get sick.
While you can usually cut off the moldy parts of a firm food like hard cheese or firm vegetables, CBD gummies are bite-sized. Cutting off moldy parts may eliminate its effects. Consider getting a new package and discarding the expired CBD gummies instead.
How To Store CBD Gummies Properly
Here are some proper storage tips to maximize your CBD gummy product’s freshness:
- Keep them in their original package: Many CBD gummy products come in jars or resealable packages. If you can, keep them in there and avoid putting them in another container. Exposing your gummies to air may reduce their quality.
- Keep them in a dark cabinet: You must keep CBD products away from direct sunlight. Try to keep them in a dark cupboard or pantry to protect them from sun exposure, which may decrease their quality.
- Keep them in a cool place: The ideal temperature range for keeping your CBD gummies is 60 to 70F. Keeping them in a cool place is related to the idea behind keeping them away from sunlight. You want to avoid exposing your products to heat, which can cancel CBD’s effects.
- Keep them in the fridge: If your CBD gummy’s packaging mentions that you can keep the product in the refrigerator, it’s best to follow instructions. However, keeping them too cold might affect their chewable quality.
- Keep them away from heating appliances: Depending on your home setup, you may have cupboards near microwaves or cabinets above your stove. Even if they are dark places, they are close to appliances that emit heat, which is likely to affect your CBD gummies.
CBD gummies can last for up to two years with proper storage. However, other ingredients in these products are perishable, especially if they are all-natural. You should pay attention to their shelf life as well. Consider basing your decisions around the product’s printed expiration date. In addition, store them in a cool, dry place and follow its unique storage directions, if there are any.Don’t miss out on the benefits of CBD gummies! Visit Smokin Treasures today and stock up on our wide selection of high-quality, fresh CBD gummies before they expire. With our variety of flavors and strengths, you’re sure to find the perfect option to fit your needs. Don’t wait, stop by or shop online now and experience the benefits of CBD gummies for yourself!